Monday, September 9, 2013

My Personal Shopping Guide II

Today I want to talk about shopping, because what girl doesn't enjoy a good shopping spree (a few I know, but just go with it). I have a few tips and tricks that have helped me when hitting the mall and I want to share them with you. Now, the trick with my personal shopping guide is that it is personal. Not everyone shops in the same way or enjoys it for the same reasons, so there are bound to be some tips that will not work for you. I'm just putting it all out there for those of you who may need a little assistance.


6. Know your body
This may seem like a stupid point and many of us will say "well it's my body, of course I know what it looks like!" But the truth is that not everyone knows what type of clothes best fits their body. I'm not talking about just your height or weight, I'm talking about the actual shape of your body. This can be a whole post on its own so I'm not going to go into detail, just know that there are certain garments that will look so much better on you than they do on other body types. Google it, you'll be amazed at what a difference it will make!

Tip: Sometimes it's hard to decide what your body type is (you may not look exactly like one of the shapes above) I suggest asking a friend or relative what they think you look most like. It's all about perspective sometimes :)

7. NO SELF HATE!
It is absolutely unnecessary for anyone to trash their appearance just because that one top or that one skirt didn't fit just right. We have to learn to love and appreciate our body just like it is. We also have to realize that not all stores use the same measurements. A size 8 at Zara and a size 8 at Gap may not be the exact same. There should be no shame in having to go up a size or down a size. No one knows what number is on that tag but you. What people see is how it fits you and I would rather have nice fitting jeans that are a size 12 than camel-toe-inducing jeans that are size 8. Which brings me to my next point...

Tip: Instead of focusing on what you don't like, focus on what you do like about your body and it will make you feel a lot better about yourself.

8. Just because it zips doesn't mean it fits
Skinny jeans and bodycon dresses DO NOT have to be skin tight or uncomfortable. I can't tell you how many pairs of skinny jeans I bought thinking they were my size, but were to "skinny" to actually be comfortable. I always thought it was just the way skinny jeans were supposed to be..until my mom forced me to go up a size. So.much.comfort! Like I said stop looking at the number on the tag and start going by how you look and how you feel when you see yourself in the mirror.

Tip: If you're not completely sure what size you are exactly take a few different ones to the fitting room and try them ALL on before you decide.

9. Appropriate undergarments
This seems kind of a no brainer to me, but my poor eyes have noticed that it is not so obvious to everyone. Wearing the right undergarments can make a huuuuuuuuge difference in how clothes look on you. Bra straps peeking through, panty lines, hot pink stars under white shirts, or  black thongs under white pants are not cute..not even one bit, trust me. This is especially true for vintage garments that were made for women who wore undergarments that shaped their bodies in certain ways. So before you buy anything, make sure you have the right accessories to wear under it.

Tip: White, black, and beige may not be as fun as red, but they can be worn with everything so these colors are a must!

10. Research
This may sound weird for people who don't have a hard time finding their size, but for those who do it is important to know what stores would carry what you're looking for. Petite, plus, and tall sizes may not be an option at certain stores, which can be a little frustrating at times. Check online what stores have the size you need and visit those stores first, it will make your shopping trip a lot shorter and much more pleasant.

Tip: The petite, plus, and tall sections at some stores aren't very big or visible so if you can't find what you're looking for make sure you ask.

Stay tuned for guide 3 and 4 coming in the next couple of weeks :)




No comments:

Post a Comment